Tuesday, May 27, 2008

21 - But, Who's Counting?

Today should have been Dan’s 21st birthday, a day to celebrate another passage into adulthood by being able, legally, to lift a pint of beer, a glass of wine or a flute of Champagne in that celebration. Tonight, if not very early this morning, Dan would have headed off with a few friends to mark that passage as it has been marked since society first drew a date-certain line in that section of the social sand.

Instead, I will take two, maybe four, bottles of Sapporo beer to a gravesite outside of town. Anyone who knew Danny will understand why the beer must be Sapporo, Asahi, Kirin, Suntory, Orion or Otaru. I will sit in the grass over that grave and drink one of those bottles, and at the same time pour a second bottle into the earth that now serves as the marker for Dan’s passage. Then, if either one of us is so inclined I will do the same with bottles three and four. I suspect we will be so inclined. After all, a guy only turns 21 once in a lifetime.

May 27 is the hardest, the worst of the “Danny days” on my calendar. It makes March 15 seem easy by comparison. March 15 will always denote the anniversary of a life ended. May 27 has become the antithesis of the anniversary of a life begun. Birthdays are for the living. There isn’t really any way, for me, to celebrate the birthday of a child who has died.

I know that life cannot be other than as it is this moment, and that accepting that reality is the path out of suffering. But, today, I badly want life to be other than as it is this moment; and so, today, I feel the suffering that comes in the absence of acceptance.

Tomorrow I will hear Dan invite me to return to the path.

2 Comments:

At 5/27/2008 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night when I went to bed, I invited him to return to me as he was in my dream in Tahoe, July 2002. He was a taller and stronger young man, perhaps 21, his hair growing back. I fell asleep to that smile and could once again feel the warm sun reflecting off of the white sands of the beach.

 
At 5/27/2008 12:57 PM, Blogger UglyOldWitch said...

I hate the should-haves. I hate knowing that there is suffering even with that acceptance. I hate that our two bright lights are gone from this world.

I love the beer, the ritual. I love the quote and the flowers (Barb) and I love finding beauty today and doing so in Danny's memory.

I wonder, if at age 21, if he could still fit in the dryer?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home